Friday, December 5, 2008

Another Day of Death

More death. Three more Canadians killed in Afghanistan. Three more families learn that their father/son/brother/grandson is never coming home. And for what?

I wear a button on my jacket that says “Canada out of Afghanistan”. Most people who stop me to say anything about it tell me that they agree. But I ran into a very confrontational man on a crowded subway the other day. He told me that if we didn’t fight them “over there”, the Taliban would come here and attack us.

Of course the Taliban are attacking us. We have invaded their country and are trying to kill them. They are not the bad guys here – we are. Who wouldn’t fight if foreigners came into their country and started killing them, and oh-by-the-way, innocent elderly, women and children?

All we need to do to stop the death is – leave. Let the Afghans use the energy they are now spending fighting us to rebuild their own country. They have essentially been at war with one country or another for years. It is going to take time and effort to rebuild, but they deserve the chance.

They have no desire to fight with us. They just want us out. So this has nothing to do with defense on our part. It is an offensive war, and we, along with other NATO countries, are the attackers. I say this with shame. I always thought my country was better than that.

Maybe now, when the government is looking for answers, is the time. Whether you agree that the war is wrong, or are just sick of hearing about more deaths, contact your MP and tell them to get Canada out of Afghanistan.

No comments: